Monday 13 February 2012

My Pack of Furry Fire Balls

One day, a Tuesday.
I was walking my dog. A nice little Chiwawa, one of those long haired ones with hair all orange and black that look like they're on fire when they run.
It's so cute!

I wanted to have more little fiery Chiwawa's, but they were too expensive.
I pondered this while I walked along. Doing creative calculating in my head to try and justify taking a detour down to the pet shop. No luck.
But this didn't depress me as much as it might have. I had my little Molly, and it was a bright and sunny day. Good for walking. By now we were coming around to the end of our walk, and we were in sight of my house.
I loved my house. It was pink with aqua blue windows, an aqua blue door, with a girl standing on the aqua blue porch.

... A girl standing on my aqua blue porch?
She had a brown box in one hand and her other on my little pink knocker. Interesting, I thought. She doesn't look like she's working for the post office. Besides, now I'm a bit closer, I can see that box has big holes along the top rim. Not the kind of box you receive in the mail.
And then it barked. The box, or what was in sided it, barked with the unmistakable sound of a puppy! I eyed the box.
The girl also turned to look at the content of the box, and noticed me coming through my little aqua blue gate in my pink fence, Chiwawa at my heels.
Her big green eyes lit up. "Ms. Pray?" she asks.
"Can I help you?" I asked back, polite little smile on my too thin for most peoples taste lips.
"I hope so," she nodded "My dad thinks it's immoral to make money off of other living beings, but we can't keep 'em so we were hoping you could take 'em." She held out the box.
"I'm sorry?" I asked, closing the gate behind Molly. "I'm not sure I understand."
"Oh, right. Sorry. I'm Nancy's niece." She named my best friend. "And when our dogs had puppies, but we couldn't keep 'em, she said you'd probably love having them. Since you've been wanting more for a while and so on." She paused, then said "We'll give 'em to you for nothing." She held the box toward me temptingly.


I peered in.
Four little balls of orange and black fire peered back inquiringly. One of them yipped at me. I fell in love.
"your sure?" I asked, breathless lungs barely giving me enough air to say the words.
"We can't keep 'em." The girl repeated. "We got eight already."
I was holding the box, though I didn't remember taking it. I heard myself mumble some pleasantries though I wasn't paying attention.

I crouched down so that Molly could look inside with me. "Look Molly, new friends." I said.
Molly sniffed the little ones in the box, then looked at me as if to say, Well alright, but I'm not looking after them for you.

"I'm so glad you're taking 'em." The girl said, "If you didn't, I don't know what we would've done."
"Thankyou so much." I said, looking up at her.
"No problems." She pushed her hands away from her body as if to push my thanks away. "I'll see you around then." And then she was gone, vaulting over my fence and away before I could think what else to say.

I shook my head at Molly in amazement. "We're going to have to call Nancy and find out just how she managed not to mention this." I told her.

Then I carefully carried the brown box though my purple living room into my white kitchen, where I promptly got out some dog food.
I wasn't certain of when they'd last eaten, and I'd rather they be a little too full, then a little too hungry on their first day at my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment